Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Que" seems to mean many different things in spanish. The dictionary says that it means who, that, and which?

How do you know which "que" refers to what? how its written? where it is written?

By seeing "que" in a sentence, what does it tell you about the other verbs? Are there any tricks understanding this phrase better?

please be thorough,

I appreciate your time..|||noT who is quien,

we can use QUE like WHAT and THAT exampleS:

-QUE haces?(WHAT are you doing?)

-QUE comiste?(WHAT did you eat)

-QUE te pondras para la fiesta?(WHAT are you going to wear in the party?)

OR

-este fue el libro QUE me compro(it was the book THAT he bought me)

- esas son las flores QUE me regalastes( these areTHAT flowers that you give me)

-el dinero QUE encontramos en la calle(the money THAT we found in the street)|||Qu茅 means what in a question, as in What do you mean? Qu茅 quieres decir? Lo que means what as a relative pronoun, as in this is what I meant, Esto es lo que quise decir.

Que without an accent means that (not the demonstrative pronoun), as in I thought that you were there.

El que, la que, los que, and las que mean this/which one, as in Were you the one who called? Fuiste tu el que llam贸?

If you want to say which or which one, as in which one do you want, you use cu谩l, as in Cu谩l quieres?



Hope that helps|||Yes, it does have many meanings.

Que = That, which, what, who, than, how, whom.

Qu茅 = what?, what!, what, which?, how?



que (Without accent)

鈻?that
Is that the laptop that you want me to buy?
驴Es 茅se el port谩til QUE quieres que compre?


鈻?which

I've read those books which were written by that famous guy.
He le铆do esos libros QUE fueron escritos por ese tipo famoso.

鈻?what
That was what she said, that she didn't want to see you anymore.
Eso fue lo QUE dijo ella, que no quer铆a verte m谩s.


鈻?who
Was it you the person who needed me yesterday?
驴Eras t煤 la persona QUE me necesitaba ayer?

鈻?than
Louis is taller than Bob.
Louis es m谩s alto QUE Bob.

鈻?how
You didn't notice how fast he ran.
No notaste lo r谩pido QUE corri贸.

鈻?whom
Her friend, whom I admired, has died today.
Su amiga, a la QUE admiraba, ha muerto hoy.



Qu茅 ...... with accent 脡, 茅 (Many people don't like to use the accent, and that is a grammatical mistake)



鈻?what?
What time is it?
驴QU脡 hora es?

鈻?what!
What a wonderful world!
隆QU脡 maravilloso mundo!

鈻?what
I do not know what to do.
No s茅 QU脡 hacer.

鈻?which?
Which colour do you prefer?
驴QU脡 color prefieres?

鈻?how?
How long does it take?
驴QU脡 tanto se demora?



I am not sure if "qu茅 (with accent) can be "that and who" I'm going to look for it and I'll edit the answer later.


Have a good night!
  • trilogy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment